The ACMA has released a report that examines the market for private wireless networks, with a focus on Australia.
These private wireless networks are deployed by companies and organisations for their private spectrum use and are either 4G long-term evolution or 5G networks. Details are available on the ACMA website.
This market study identifies developments in private wireless networks in Australia. This includes:
- The mining and resources sector having over 50 private wireless networks already in operation, with more in planning stages.
- The rail sector deploying private wireless networks. State rail companies already own spectrum licences and are deployed or in advanced planning stages.
- The agriculture sector investigating using private wireless networks.
- The entertainment, advanced manufacturing and infrastructure sectors having an interest in using the private networks.
Key factors in deploying private wireless networks are:
- having a sound business case for digitising operations
- assessing the cost and complexity of deploying a network at particular locations
- securing spectrum at desired frequencies in particular locations
- having access to a range of industrial-grade wireless equipment at suitable frequencies.
The report also examines the likely impact on spectrum demand and implications for the ACMA. Visit the ACMA website to learn more.